Sheet-Pan French Toast with Walnuts and Berry Sauce
French toast might just be better than pancakes and waffles. It’s a controversial thought, but after trying this decadent recipe, you may be putting away the skillet for good. Indulge in a classic breakfast treat with toasty walnuts and a tartly sweet berry sauce.
1 loaf challah, sliced into 12 (3/4-inch) slices
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blackberries
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line an 11-inch by 17-inch sheet pan with parchment paper; spray with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup and salt. Combine walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate small bowl; set aside.
3. Pour egg mixture into a large, shallow dish. Place challah pieces evenly in the dish for 2 minutes to soak; flip and let sit for an additional 2 minutes (you may need to do this in multiple rounds). Transfer soaked challah pieces to the prepared sheet pan. Sprinkle with walnut mixture and bake for 12 minutes, until bread is lightly golden.
4. While the challah is baking, make the sauce. Place berries and maple syrup into a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Sauce should thicken slightly.
4. Remove French toast from the oven, spoon syrup over the top and serve. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to one day.
Cook time:20 minutes
Prep time:10 minutes